GPhoto2 Python bindings

I was messing around tonight with the gphoto2 pip package and looks like I am able to trigger a capture with a given exposure length without a physical remote release using just the python bindings. It would have to be modified to work in the POCS codebase but it’s a good start if there’s interest. Here’s the script. take_image.py

Moving some of the conversation from an email chain to here.

From Wilfred,

I’m curious about the elapsed time between exposures when using the python bindings. We are 
currently using gphoto2 without the physical shutter release by just calling out to the shell, as you 
noticed. The problem we are encountering is that it is too slow, adding 8-10 seconds of overhead for 
each exposure. In the gphoto2 forums people talk about getting the time down to about 4 seconds but 
ideally we want less than that, which is the impetus for the physical shutter. If the python bindings 
somehow make it quicker that would be great.

gphoto2 can also get confused with multiple cameras as the design is only good at single camera 
control. Id be curious about how well the bindings work with that as well.

On my macbook I’m seeing about 2.5 seconds of overhead for a 10 second exposure. That’s timed from when the shutter is pressed to when the file is saved over the usb on the mac. So far less than 8-10 seconds. But I’m also curious if the transfer would be slower on something like the RPi or not. As for the multiple cameras, tonight I’ll see how well the autodetect feature works, I think you can combine that with reading the camera serial number from it’s config to figure out which camera is which.