OpenPHD2 integration

Dear all,

I have no idea if this can be useful to someone here, but just in case, I wanted to post my attempt at automating guiding through OpenPHD2 here such that it can benefit to everybody.

It looks like I am converging toward something usable (has been succesfully tested with the indi telescope/mount simulator):

I started to integrate this class itself in my equivalent of panoptes observatory class:

• dithering upon update_tracking
  • reset and start guiding upon initialize_tracking
  • launch_server and connect upon unpark
  • disconnect and terminate_server upon park

However this integration as a whole remains mostly untested up to now.

Thank you for your attention.

Very neat! I’m certainly interested in how we might improve our tracking using the standard equipment. Is it the case that you need a separate guide camera or something connected to the auto-guider camera in order for this to work?

Yes, for now, I use a cheap rgb camera on a 9*50 finderscope. Of course, as I did not built the “original” panoptes project hardware, but use a slightly more fine grained sampling, my need for guiding might not be the same as for the telephoto lenses.

It is very nice how PHD2 can be integrated to any 3rd party app. However one must notice that all interaction to hardware are managed by openPHD2 itself, hence I think one must first connect everything together and configure a default set of camera/mount and their driver (Indi for me).

I am not sure wether this configuration can be automatized.

I am also missing quite a few features from OpenPHD2, like the fact that you can setup a set of dark frame before each guiding session (maybe this is managed by the internal PHD2 profile manager ?)

As you see, there is still some work for a better integration, but at least, the py file with the doc is almost self contained, and one can easily get started with it.

Regards

Am I correct in thinking that OpenPHD2 is entirely open source, and doesn’t require the product from Stark Labs?

However one must notice that all interaction to hardware are managed by openPHD2 itself, hence I think one must first connect everything together and configure a default set of camera/mount and their driver (Indi for me).

I assume that is only for the guide scope/camera and the mount, but not other cameras on the mount. Is that so?