Only two weeks until the Symposium on Telescope Science where we will display the PANOPTES poster and talk to people about our progress!
Countdown: 15 days to get our unit assembled and into test mode!
This thread is to report the status and progress of PAN005, named “J. J.”. This unit is named in honor of two friends who have passed away - Jenny and Jonathan. They would LOVE the Panoptes project! Jenny was a great friend and astronomy enthusiast, and Jonathan was a super-engineer and astro-imager, one of the most intelligent and talented people I have ever known.
- Working through beta document for Linux commands to set up the NUC computer with all its necessary software. Hit some errors - posted to the Forum
- Assembly of electrical connections in process, between boards and components
- Decision made to “go solar”. Once the unit is working, will add a solar charger to the battery for “off grid” operation.
- mount and all parts acquired
- aluminum plates machined
- cameras installed in camera box
- camera box with cameras mounted
- camera box on mount tested
- power board, telemetry board, camera board all completed