tl;dr: after a long layoff, we are putting the finishing touches on weatherproofing PAN010, and are now in the process of installing it at a permanent site on Mt. Lemmon.
Weatherproofing the head unit
We took a page out of PAN015’s playbook and 3D printed each camera lens cap. We will attach or link to the openSCAD file we made when we get permission to upload from someone (@wtgee, @nem?).
EDIT: Here is the link.
The resulting lens caps are shown below in Fig. 1 and 2.
Figure 1: Lens caps in the head unit. Each cap is made up of the same UV cured resin material; they have been spray painted white to protect them once they are outdoors.
Figure 2: Each cap is attached with sugru to its respective lens baffle. There is a notch in one of the caps to avoid hitting the latch on the head unit while rotating the baffle into the lock position on the camera lens.
Referencing Fig. 1, we inlet the USB and power cables through the small hole between the cameras. We have cut a hole into some screen door mesh to avoid bugs making their way into the head unit. Minus some minor adjustments, this completes the weatherproofing on the head unit.
Weatherproofing the mount
Using instructions from @tmcook along with experience @jlumbres gained from her trip to Bhutan, we have finished putting together the mount sheathing. This process is detailed in the figures below.
Figure 3: A montage of Jhen cutting, shaping, and gluing (with silicone) the aluminum sheeting to the mount.
One concern we have is that the folded aluminum panel covering the right ascension motor will collide with the DEC clutch nut at the corners of the folds during certain motions. One collision region is the corner of the panel marked with sharpie in the top-right corner image of Fig. 4. While the mount may rarely, if ever, rotate in such a way as to cause a collision between the aluminum and the DEC clutch nut, we may prevent this by cutting or bending the aluminum corners, or restrict such mount movements using the POCS software.
Figure 4: PAN010 suited up from four different angles. We still have some gaps to patch up with sugru or silicone and some edges to file down.
We will go back to testing our unit outdoors, ensuring that it can operate completely autonomously before we leave it up on a mountain.
There are a number of items to purchase and set up during the installation process on Mt. Lemmon. These include equipment for securing PAN010 onto a rooftop, isolating the hardware from the mountain operations network (in case of lightning strikes), and lengthening the cables from the electronics control box to the head unit.
We will keep the thread updated with our progress.