PAN010: Build thread for UofA

Does sound like a balance issue so that’s the first thing I would check. Make sure all the wires are plugged in when doing that as it can add just enough weight.

UA PAN010 Update from our work today:

  • We connected to the Google Cloud server.

  • We’re in the process of getting ssh access for roof testing. It’ll be good for us when we’re ready to go to park it on the roof.

  • We uploaded the telemetry and camera boards arduino scripts directly using @atrodack’s laptop and the most recent arduino gui version.
    – We tried in the past using the cloud version, but it didn’t work.
    – On the camera board, the accelerometer and humidity sensors worked in both the arduino gui and PEAS. However, the humidity sensor was finicky and moving something caused NaN values to output. We’re not sure what is going on there, so any suggestions welcomed.
    – For the telemetry board, the humidity sensor worked in both the arduino gui and PEAS. However, we’re not sure what’s going on with the temperature sensors (they output -127.0 values). I suspect it could be a funny way I wired the temperature sensors on the telemetry board. I’ll go investigate it.

  • We managed to get the cloud sensor to be detected in PEAS (took a while, though…)
    – We found that having the arduino scripts uploaded gets PEAS to see the cloud sensor.
    – We hung out the cloud sensor outside the window in Justin/Olivier’s office. The weather stayed at “Very Cloudy” (it is indeed very cloudy today here in Tucson) and the sky temperature increased. We suspect that some of our results are skewed because it’s detecting parts of the building. We’ll need to test this on the roof.

  • We set the mount’s meridian position limit to 25 degrees using the controller.

  • We’re in the process for setting up the weatherproofing.
    – We have access to a 3D resin printer (through CAAO/LBTI) that we’re going to use for the camera box seals (featured from WISRD). We’re going to go through some test versions on another 3D printer to make sure we get the fit correctly before going through the resin printing. We can’t use a lot of the resin, so we decided to use it for the camera box seals.
    – We’re making a list of equipment we need to procure.

1 Like

Great to see the UofA unit in action.

In regards to setting the exposure time, we did this for HD189733 by taking an exposure, and checking the counts (in ds9 I believe). Aru showed me that you can type the name of a target into Ds9 and it will find it in the field so you dont need to look for it manually. From last Augusts efforts we worked out that the camera has a 2048 count pedestal (you cant get less counts than this) and a maximum of 13???. So you want the signal from the target to be between these two values. About 9000-10000 counts would be perfect but it will vary as the star moves across the pixels and has a different count in each color channel. So we adjusted things until we go 8000-10000 counts in the brightest channel and took a few images to see how much it fluctuated as it walked across pixels. I think in the end we went with a 35 second exposure time with the SL1 for this target and an open aperture. So this should work for you too.

Good luck

Hey PAN010 team,
did you ever solve the issue on downloading the script to the arduinos from the NUC?? if so I’m really interested. I tried this but it did not help…
The workaround you mention (downloading from another computer) means that the issue is just downloading and that the NUC is able to read the serial monitor from the arduinos to get the telemetry and allow you to switch stuffs on/off right?
Thanks,

Ok answering myself as I was able to test stuffs earlier than I thought.
YES even if we cannot download the script to the Arduino with the NUC we can actually read the serial monitor telemetry and switch things off/on.

I am still interested in knowing if you solved your script download issue!

Cheers,

Hi Luc,

I do not believe we were ever able to solve the uploading problem. We were going to look into our circuit boards again and try to figure out if we had a grounding loop problem or something else strange that could be causing the problem interacting with the NUC for upload from there. You are correct that we could read off the serial monitor on the NUC still. We have tested reading out the temperature and humidity sensors from the NUC and been able to without issue if the script is uploaded from a separate computer first.

thanks @atrodack!
I have more a feeling of software issue here but I might be biased…
I have tried various USB cables, with and without USB hubs and still never works.
I am also seeing different error messages depending on the execution of the permission stuff…
I’ll copy them and upload here when I got back to this again just to check if they are similar to what you have.
Thanks and good luck!