PAN016 Intel NUC Setup Problem

We are using the Intel NUC Setup doc dated May 2018 (Ubuntu 18.04)

We’ve worked through each step okay, but are encountering errors when running pytest. Can you help? We don’t know Linux. thanks

Here is the error log:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/_pytest/config/init.py”, line 409, in _importconftest
mod = conftestpath.pyimport()
File “/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/py/_path/local.py”, line 668, in pyimport
import(modname)
File “/var/panoptes/POCS/conftest.py”, line 115
SyntaxError: Non-ASCII character ‘\xe2’ in file /var/panoptes/POCS/conftest.py on line 116, but no encoding declared; see http://python.org/dev/peps/pep-0263/ for details
ERROR: could not load /var/panoptes/POCS/conftest.py

Hi @richard.shankman, sorry for the delay.

It looks like the system is trying to use an older python (2.7). You can check which version it is running with python -V.

@james.synge was also trying to create a script that made sure everything was installed and configured properly, including the python version. James, are those scripts usable by Richard and team? Seems like that would be the easiest way to currently get the environment set up.

Thanks, Wilfred. I’ll try updating the version of Python and see what happens.

I was able to set the default version from Python2 to Python3 by inserting the line:
alias python=python3 into the bashrc file.

Now I default to Python 3.6.7

Now when I run:
python ${POCS}/setup.py install
I get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/var/panoptes/POCS/setup.py”, line 4, in
from setuptools import setup, find_packages
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named ‘setuptools’

I don’t get this error when default version is set back to Python 2, but then have original problem of pytest failing.

Hi Richard. @lucboucher is about at the same spot as you and describing his issues over in PAN003 NUC configuration issue.

I’m spending some time with this today and am going to work through the instructions from a clean slate. I’ll give an update by the end of day.

Thanks!

Sorry! I haven’t forgotten about this but instead have been working on a solution all weekend, which should be coming through in the next few days.