PAN018: Build thread for Drukchen01-Bhutan-The Royal Academy

Hi,

Currently we are facing issue with “setup_pocs”. It returns some error saying the range covered is out of…table. Can anyone give us an idea on fixing it?

2 Likes

This relates to all the issues we have had with what is called the IERS table. This is a table that is downloaded from the internet that has up-to-date calculations for the rotation of the earth and is needed to accurately know positions of stars.

Unfortunately the servers hosting those tables have had lots of problems. For PAN018 specifically the issue was related to https://github.com/astropy/astroplan/issues/410 (you can see all the problems here).

We did a work-around with our latest code updates, so if you updates POCS it should help:

cd $POCS
git pull

When I ran:
cd $POCS
git pull
It returned me the following.

Any solution to this problem?

1 Like

This is a good example of a merge for github. The files that it shows in red are files that have been changed on that local computer. When you try to merge it is saying that the remote files would override those local changes and it is not sure if that is okay to do or not.

What you can do is “stash” your local changes, basically setting them aside for a minute, then do the pull, then put your local changes back on top.

This looks like:

# Set aside your local changes
git stash

# Pull down remote changes
git pull

# Put local changes back in place.
git stash apply

If there are no conflicts with this process then that is all you have to do. However, there could be a situation in which your local changes interfere with the remote changes, so you have to manually resolve them. If that happens, when you type git stash apply you will get an error saying something about a merge conflict. If that happens let me know and we can work through it. It would be one a file-by-file basis at that point.

1 Like

Our nuc is not able to connect with the ethernet cable. I mean it is not giving out internet connection. Moreover when we have to do:

git pull

we cannot do it because we don’t have an internet connection. Then if we connect to the wifi we have to stop hotspot which breaks the communication between the camera box and the control system. So can anyone suggest on how can we fix the ethenet issue?

1 Like

HI @UgyenJigmeRangdrel. The ethernet problems are specific to your setup, but I’ve just tested the login and do have access to the NUC again, so it looks like all of the setup work that you did last night went well, good job!

I’ll test out the connection to the camera box and see if it is working and if so will teach you how to access it yourself.

I’ll let you know later today.

1 Like

Thanks for update @wtgee. Now we have to just put back the weatherproofing. Yes it would be great if you could share us on How to access it because we are planning to do observation soon before installation of next unit.

The ethernet problems are specific to your setup,

Is there anything we could do in order to have it work?

The ethernet is working without problems after you plugged the unit back in.

The WiFi connection for the camera box was not. I had to manually delete the WiFi hotspot and recreate. There is a script to do that in the /var/panoptes/panoptes-utils/scripts folder, called something like create-hotspot. It will ask you to enter a password. Since the camera box has the password saved you must enter that same password or it won’t work. @DrWags has the password if you do not.

In the (near) future we will want to make that more robust so it doesn’t need to be done manually

Are you able to access the camera box?

I was able to earlier, yes. ssh camera-box once you are logged onto the NUC.

But you don’t necessarily need to ssh to it although that is an easy way to verify it is connected.

You can try

cd $POCS
bin/pocs-cmd "gphoto2 --auto-detect"

And see if it returns anything.

1 Like

@wtgee, for the time being, Can I use vnc to control the unit remotely? Or should we use one of the spare nuc? What’s your recommendation?

Hi @UgyenJigmeRangdrel. @tmcook is cleaning up the operation guide she has for PAN012 and then we will make it specific to PAN018 and send it to you. It will go through how to operate, how to pick targets, etc. It will then be a document that you can edit specifically for PAN018 so you can add your own notes, etc.

We’ll try to get this out to you today.

1 Like

@UgyenJigmeRangdrel is the unit officially named “Drukchen”? Because that’s awesome. :dragon:

@wtgee yes it is officially named as “Drukchen”, The literal translation of the name means eyes of the Thunder dragon.

1 Like

@tmcook is cleaning up the operation guide she has for PAN012 and then we will make it specific to PAN018 and send it to you. It will go through how to operate, how to pick targets, etc. It will then be a document that you can edit specifically for PAN018 so you can add your own notes, etc.
That’ll be great.
Thank You

1 Like

@wtgee I would like to know the progress on the operation guide for unit 18.

Hi @UgyenJigmeRangdrel. @tmcook is cleaning up the document for us and should have it ready soon.

I’m also getting all the software updated this weekend and we’ll want to update the unit in the next few days as well. I’ll hopefully have this done by today or tomorrow.

I’m also getting all the software updated this weekend and we’ll want to update the unit in the next few days as well. I’ll hopefully have this done by today or tomorrow.

That is a great plan. I will not be available for two days because I have to go for a space week program. I think you could let us know once you are ready with the software update. We are available on 19th.

:rocket: Have fun at the competition! :rocket: