PAN018: Build thread for Drukchen01-Bhutan-The Royal Academy

The ethernet is working without problems after you plugged the unit back in.

The WiFi connection for the camera box was not. I had to manually delete the WiFi hotspot and recreate. There is a script to do that in the /var/panoptes/panoptes-utils/scripts folder, called something like create-hotspot. It will ask you to enter a password. Since the camera box has the password saved you must enter that same password or it won’t work. @DrWags has the password if you do not.

In the (near) future we will want to make that more robust so it doesn’t need to be done manually

Are you able to access the camera box?

I was able to earlier, yes. ssh camera-box once you are logged onto the NUC.

But you don’t necessarily need to ssh to it although that is an easy way to verify it is connected.

You can try

cd $POCS
bin/pocs-cmd "gphoto2 --auto-detect"

And see if it returns anything.

1 Like

@wtgee, for the time being, Can I use vnc to control the unit remotely? Or should we use one of the spare nuc? What’s your recommendation?

Hi @UgyenJigmeRangdrel. @tmcook is cleaning up the operation guide she has for PAN012 and then we will make it specific to PAN018 and send it to you. It will go through how to operate, how to pick targets, etc. It will then be a document that you can edit specifically for PAN018 so you can add your own notes, etc.

We’ll try to get this out to you today.

1 Like

@UgyenJigmeRangdrel is the unit officially named “Drukchen”? Because that’s awesome. :dragon:

@wtgee yes it is officially named as “Drukchen”, The literal translation of the name means eyes of the Thunder dragon.

1 Like

@tmcook is cleaning up the operation guide she has for PAN012 and then we will make it specific to PAN018 and send it to you. It will go through how to operate, how to pick targets, etc. It will then be a document that you can edit specifically for PAN018 so you can add your own notes, etc.
That’ll be great.
Thank You

1 Like

@wtgee I would like to know the progress on the operation guide for unit 18.

Hi @UgyenJigmeRangdrel. @tmcook is cleaning up the document for us and should have it ready soon.

I’m also getting all the software updated this weekend and we’ll want to update the unit in the next few days as well. I’ll hopefully have this done by today or tomorrow.

I’m also getting all the software updated this weekend and we’ll want to update the unit in the next few days as well. I’ll hopefully have this done by today or tomorrow.

That is a great plan. I will not be available for two days because I have to go for a space week program. I think you could let us know once you are ready with the software update. We are available on 19th.

:rocket: Have fun at the competition! :rocket:

Thank You @wtgee :space_invader::+1:

Update On WiFi hotspot of unit.

Recently we saw the hotspot was actually working and it was providing with internet connection. It would appreciated if I can now about the setup more.

We are resumed from our program. We will be continuing to work on our unit soon. @wtgee and @tmcook. I would like to know about the operation guide for unit 18.

Hi Ugyen-- sorry this took a while, but here are the 2 documents I wrote to help you (and others) with running your units:

1. PAN018 Operation Guide (start with the template: Unit Operation Guide)

This is reference for you and the rest of the PAN018 team that describes the setup of your unit’s computer (the NUC). Some specific information on it needs to be replaced, so I put comments throughout the document that explain how to find everything.

2. POCS Manual Observing Guide
Current documentation for how to have your unit observe almost any target you want - some sections of it are still work in progress (WIP) but all the important info you need to get started is there.

Hope that helps… if anything on either document is unclear, please let me know! :hushed:

1 Like

@tmcook we are really grateful for your time. But I am not able to access to the unit operation guide. It would be really nice if you can grant access to us. Or you can share the documents in the following email ugyen.urangdrol2016@academy.bt

1 Like

Oops-just updated the link sharing permissions, should work now!

@wtgee I heard that our unit has some miss calibration in terms of east and west. I would like to know about the status rite now. Or is there anything we could do to re-calibrate the positions.

@wtgee when I run setup pocs I am getting this error what is the problem?

When I load the pocs shell it gives me:

PAN018-NUC at 20:32:25 panoptes in POCS on  docker [$!] ➜ bin/pocs-shell
``Failed to download IERS A bulletin: <urlopen error [Errno -3] Temporary failure in name resolution>
Welcome to POCS Shell! Type ? for help
POCS > setup_pocs